Crystal Yoga and Chakra Healing: Which Crystals and Asanas are Suitable?
Balancing the chakras with crystals
Combining gemstones, yoga and chakra healing, is that even possible? We think so, because every crystal has its own vibration - a kind of crystal lattice - which was made visible in 1915 by Sir William Bragg. This crystal lattice has its own vibration frequency with which our body resonates.
We can use this vibration in Crystal Yoga and for chakra healing. Color theory also plays a role here. Because each of the seven main chakras - our energy centers in the body - is assigned a color. Gemstones work because of their composition, density, crystal form and their color.
Crystal Yoga and Chakra Healing generate Prana – universal life energy
Asanas (yoga postures) and pranayama (breathing exercises) release prana in the body – universal life energy – which is distributed via the nadis (energy channels). Along the Sushumna Nadi, our main energy channel (spinal cord), are the seven main chakras:
- the root chakra - color red - sits on the tailbone - security, grounding, through blockage: insecurity, depression, hoarding of things
- the sacral chakra - color orange - sits under the navel - sexual fears, no self-confidence, due to blockage: sex addiction, no desire for sex, not being able to enjoy life
- the solar plexus chakra - color yellow - sits on the solar plexus - uniqueness, own will, our soul nature, through blockage: anger, negative, circling thoughts
- the heart chakra - color pink or green - is located in the heart region - love, interpersonal relationships, through blockage: difficult to allow love
- the throat chakra - color light blue - sits on the throat - communication of all kinds of feelings, impulses, thoughts, free, clear speech
- the third eye chakra - sits on the forehead - color indigo blue, purple - intuition, inner perception, visioning
- and the crown chakra - sits above the crown - color clear or blue, connection to god/universe, universal life energy, spiritual connection, clarity, universal consciousness
For Diane Malaspina, a Yoga Medicine Therapist, a chakra is either blocked or has excess energy. There can be a lack of energy or too much energy in the chakra, both of which have different effects on our psyche and body. She says the effects relate to what the chakra stands for.
Blocked chakras disrupt the flow of energy in the body
A blocked chakra can manifest itself in malaise, illness and imbalance.
A blocked root chakra, for example, can trigger insecurity, self-doubt and depression because the connection to earth is missing. Too much energy in the root chakra can result in fearlessness and recklessness, or hoarding things for a perceived safety.
How can blocked chakras be brought back into balance?
Through breathing exercises, meditation, yoga asanas and chakra gemstones , the chakras can be brought back into harmony and the universal life energy - prana - can flow freely.
Chakra gemstones can have a positive effect on the chakras due to their nature and vibration and bring them back into harmony.
You can meditate with the gems and place them directly on your skin or hold them in your hand. During the day you can wear the gemstone as a necklace or in your pocket.
Appropriate gemstones for the seven main chakras are:
- Root Chakra - Red Jasper or Hematite
- Sacral Chakra - Carnelian
- Solar Plexus Chakra - Yellow Citrine, Amber, Calcite
- Heart Chakra - Rose Quartz or Green Aventurine
- Throat Chakra - blue soldalite or chalcedony
- Third Eye / Brow Chakra - Amethyst, Lapis Lazuli, Fluorite
- Crown Chakra - Clear Quartz, Selenite
Try it out and see which crystal you resonate with. Crystal healing is an empirical science just like Crystal Yoga. What feels good is great.
Yoga exercises for your crystal yoga and your chakra balancing:
Yoga exercise for the root chakra : Sufi circles from Kundalini Yoga. You sit cross-legged and your chest circles around your pelvis – place a red jasper or carnelian on your lower spine.
Yoga exercise for the sacral chakra: the butterfly lying down and placing a red carnelian on the chakra
Yoga exercise for the Solar Plexus Chakra: the dove, the boat - put a golden yellow citrine on the chakra or wear a long gemstone necklace
Yoga exercise for the throat chakra: chanting the mantra Omm while holding a Soldalith in your hands or wearing a crystal necklace near your neck
Yoga exercise for the heart chakra: the camel or the wheel (backbends), wear a rose quartz or aventurine necklace near the heart
Yoga exercise for the forehead chakra: meditate with an amethyst in your hand or place a flat amethyst under your forehead in child pose
Yoga exercise for the crown chakra: place a healing circle of rock crystals around you and meditate in it, or do a pranayama exercise, place a rock crystal on the crown in savasana
In general, you can drape your favorite gems around your yoga mat during a Crystal Yoga class. Here, too, it is important to be playful, just try it out and trust your intuition.
With a chakra rock crystal gemstone chain, you can balance your chakras on the go or during your Reiki or crystal yoga session.
Do you have experience with chakra healing and crystal yoga? Please share your experiences in the comments.
All the best